Monday, April 23, 2018

Stepping Out

"Only When I Listen 3"
21x14" poured watercolor
When you are good at something, it's not easy to give that up for something unfamiliar and new. Giving up something you are known for, admired for, is an enormous step. It appears I'm taking that step in my artwork. It's scary. It's unknown. And it's completely mine, to define as I wish, to make use of and to learn.  So it's also exhilarating. That is why I'm "stepping out".  I'm stepping out of the safe place I was as an artist and venturing out into the unknown.

Well, not completely unknown. Many fine artists have come before me with these ideas. There is much to learn from looking at a body of artwork by another artist. There is nothing wrong with saying "that appeals to me and I'd like to paint like that." There is also nothing wrong with saying "I've done as much as I can with this and now I'm moving on."

"My House" 11x14" wc
a first attempt
This change means that I will again spend years learning my "craft". I like to compete, to have paintings accepted into national and international shows. That likely won't be happening much with this new style. I have to let competition and recognition go. I have to learn how to express what I feel and think in my paintings in a different way. It's important to me, to the person I am and to the life I live that I find a clear and concise way to express that.

"Our House" 11x14" acrylic
2nd attempt
I'll be 70 years old this September.  I'm following the wisdom of Fran Larsen, a teaching artist who I consider one of the best, most intuitive and honest artists anywhere. If she can, over a lifetime of being a successful working artist, redefine herself 5 times, then  I've got time enough for one more iteration.

When you get "stuck", when you say "I've done all I can" and "I'm as good as I can be" then you aren't, not really. No matter how old you are or what you've done, there is always room for new growth. Just ask the plants in my garden. Be the mint. Grow some new roots.




No comments:

Post a Comment